Compounding Info for Prescribers
CARE . WELLNESS . COMPOUNDING
Have you ever had a patient who had difficulty taking the medication you prescribed?
You’re not alone. Patient non-compliance is a familiar challenge, and can result in the treatment being less effective than it should be.
Common reasons for patient non-compliance may include:
- Stomach upset when taking oral medication
- Reluctance to take the medication due to its taste
- Issues with the route of administration, such as difficulty swallowing pills
- Requiring a different dose of medication than that which is available from a manufacturer
- Difficulty keeping track of multiple medications
- Patients who don’t want to take medication at all, especially children or pets
Greenhill Pharmacy may be able to provide solutions for challenges such as these. Working closely with the patient and the prescriber, compounding gives our pharmacists the means to customize medication to meet the individual needs of each patient.
Benefits of Compounding
Compounding allows a medication to be personalized for an individual patient. The ability to create these personalized medications allows our compounding pharmacists to help patients with a wide variety of needs.
Compounding Pharmacists Make Medication That Is Difficult to Find or Discontinued
Sometimes a large pharmaceutical manufacturer discontinues a medication. Often this happens because not enough patients are taking the drug, so it is unprofitable to keep mass-producing it. But what about the patients who still need that drug? Hundreds or even thousands of patients still may need that medication.
Greenhill Pharmacy can recreate that medication by compounding it, so even if only one person in the world still needs that medication, they can have it thanks to compounding!
How to Write a Prescription for a Compounded Medication